While we all know that water should be the only thing going down the drain, we’ve all had that “whoops there goes the pasta!” moment at some point. This can be harmless, until blockage builds up and you have a clogged sink on your hands.
So during your spring cleaning this season, work to prevent poor plumbing habits. Thanks to the Huffington Post, here are 11 things that commonly create blockages in pipes that you might not expect:
- Bacon Fat – Instead of pouring this down the drain, wait for it to cool off in the pan, wipe it with a paper towel and toss it.
- Grease and Oil – Avoid this problem from the start and put it into your compost bin where other organic materials can soak it up.
- Orange Peels – Don’t confuse your pipes with garbage disposals, throwing these bits down the drain wont make anything smell good.
- Coffee Grinds – Flushing these down your pipes can cause a sludgy, drain-clogging mess. Good thing is grinds are GREAT for gardening, so take these outside!
- Eggshells – Even the smallest bit can create granular waste that can easily get stuck to oil and grease and clog up a sink, toss these!
- Tea Leaves – If you are a loose leaf tea fan, be careful you don’t wash a bunch of these down the drain – they can pile and build up in the pipes.
- Semolina – This is what many pastas are made with can cause blockage when wet. It’s ok to drain pasta water – just be sure not to let the noodles down too!
- Medicines – When cleaning out your cabinet, refrain from dumping expired liquids down the drain. Metamucil in particular forms a ‘hard jello’ that can be very difficult to get rid of.
- Jello – Speaking of Jello, anything with gelatin as an ingredient has the potential to cause clogs.
- Potato Peels – When potatoes absorb too much water they can get gummy and very sticky. Don’t want that building up in your pipes!
- Rice – Another food that gums up the pipes and causes water to back up. Don’t let these grains fall down the drain!
Have you accidentally tossed a bunch of these down the drain? Call Patterson Plumbing & Heating to get your drains cleared today! A specialist will come by, diagnose the plumbing problem, make recommendations and prepare pricing by the job – not the hour – so there are no surprises. Give us a call at 719-544-4922!