If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to reduce your energy consumption or even just save some money – you’re in luck. Tomorrow, Saturday January 10th is National Cut Your Energy Costs Day! There are many things we as individuals can do to help the environment, and our wallet as well.
Below are some tips for saving energy & money in honor of Cut Your Energy Costs Day:
- Weatherproof the house – Adding caulk and weather strips to areas that are not adequately sealed (like doors or windows) can really make a difference.
- Switch out old light bulbs for energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Cover all bare floors with carpeting or rugs to add to comfort and heat retention.
- Wait until you have a full load of dishes or wash before turning on your dishwasher or washer/dryer.
- Help save water while you shower by replacing current shower heads to low-flow options.
- Fix any leaky or dripping faucet and running toilets – this can account for tons of money getting washed down the drain each year.
- Turn appliances off when not in use – including unplugging these gadgets as well.
- Use the power-save switch on your refrigerator if it’s available, otherwise set the temperature between 30 and 42 degrees F.
- Use the right sized pots for the burners on your stove. Heat is lost when small pots are used on larger burners!
- Close the flue on your fireplace when not in use and install glass doors to keep in the warm air.
At Patterson Plumbing & Heating, we’re available for all of your plumbing and heating needs. Give one of our expert technicians a call today: 719-544-4922. Don’t forget to LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more updates and industry news.