September brought Baby Safety Month, and now – we have child safety and protection month. The goal of this month is to create awareness about the potential dangers children face in everyday situations, including around the home.
As parents, we try to protect our children from all the dangers of the outside world, but sometimes we forget what could cause harm right in our own homes! Here are five tips to keep your child safe under your own roof:
- Install safety gates before your children start crawling to keep kids out of harms way (including at the top and bottom of all stairs)
- Keep storage bins around to hold all toys and supplies, preventing anyone in the home from tripping
- Cover up and lock it up. Any outlets should be covered and locks should be included on anything that can open (cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink? Don’t need little hands going in there).
- Be cautious of choking hazards. From coins, to jewelry, to crayons, to food – anything little can easily be swallowed, and just as easily lodged.
- Set your hot water heaters no higher than 120 degrees F to prevent burns, and consider spout guards on the bathtub faucet to manage the temperature of your child’s bath.
At Patterson Plumbing & Heating, we’re available for all of your plumbing and heating needs. Give one of our expert technicians a call today: 719-544-4922. Don’t forget to LIKE us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for more updates and industry news.