Despite our best efforts and courtesy flushes, clogged toilets happen to everybody. Not to worry, 90% of these clogs can be fixed with a household plunger. Before you go reaching for yours, keep reading. The technique listed below gives you the best chance to clear the clog without making a mess.
- Grab the plunger. For best results, use a rubber, bell-shaped plunger with an extension flange at the bottom. The flange is designed to fit better around toilet drains, allowing you to create a stronger seal and a more powerful plunge.
- Cover the toilet drain with the plunger. Put the plunger in the toilet and adjust it until the drain opening is covered. The head of the plunger should be completely underwater. If it isn’t, you will need to add water to the toilet bowl.
- Press down gently to create a seal. The first plunge should be a gentle one. The bell is initially full of air, so pressing down too quickly will cause splashing.
- Plunge vigorously up and down for 15-20 seconds. Once the seal is created and the bell fills up with water, you can begin plunging aggressively. Push up and down for 15 seconds – this will force water both directions in the drain, helping to loosen up any clogs. Make sure not to break the seal by pulling the plunger up to far.
- Be patient, and switch it up. Stubborn clogs may take more than 15 seconds to loosen. Just be patient, and switch up your plunging techniques. Try alternating between slow strokes and vigorous heaves.
If, after several minutes of plunging, your toilet is still clogged, expert assistance may be required. A professional plumber can use specialized tools to clear your clog without damaging your plumbing system. Don’t use chemical drain cleaners, as they can corrode the inside of your pipes.
Experiencing a clogged drain in your Colorado home? The pros at Patterson Plumbing are just a phone call away! As Pueblo County’s most trusted plumber, you can count on us for all of your drain cleaning and plumbing repair needs! If you live in Pueblo or Canon City, give us a call today at (719) 544-4922.