As the days start to get warmer, air conditioning season will be in full drive. But is your AC well equipped to do its job? If your air conditioner isn’t the proper size, it won’t be able to efficiently and effectively keep you and your family comfortable.
Too large of a system or unit will use more electricity and leave the air in your house with excess humidity. Too small and you will not find your home or room cooled to a comfortable temperature. So how do you figure out a size that is just right? With some basic math and a few moments of your time:
1. Measure the square footage (length and width) of the desired room and write these measurements down.
2. Calculate the square footage of the room by multiplying the length and width.
3. Determine the square footage of each room of your home if you are opting for a central air conditioning system. *You can also review your property tax statement or contact your county auditor’s office to find out this number.
4. Determine the cooling capacity needed for the room or home by referencing the British Thermal Units (BTUs) guidelines: The United States Department of Energy Energy Star website offers these guidelines per square footage:
- 100 up to 300 sq. feet: 5,000 to 7,000 BTU
- 300 up to 550 sq. feet: 8,000 to 12,000 BTU
- 550 up to 1,000 sq. feet: 14,000 to 18,000 BTU
- 1,000 up to 1,200 sq. feet: 21,000 to 24,000 BTU
- 1,500 up to 2,000 sq. feet: 30,000 BTU
- 2,000 up to 2,500 sq. feet: 34,000 BTU
Once you’ve determined the correct size unit or system needed for your home, give the air conditioning experts here at Patterson a call. Our air conditioning replacement specialists are experts on all types of central air units and will be able to give a thorough analysis of your home. We’ll discuss your cooling system options and assure the best replacement for your home’s unique cooling needs and prepare a firm upfront, no-surprises cost proposal.
Call to schedule a FREE home air conditioning replacement and installation consultation for your Pueblo, Colorado area home, 719-544-4922.