Water heating accounts for roughly 13% of the average household’s total energy consumption, which translates to nearly $300 per year. Luckily, there are ways to lower this expense without sacrificing your family’s comfort. Just follow these nine tips from Patterson Plumbing & Heating:
- Take shorter showers. If you are looking to save water, taking shorter showers is a good place to start. A family of four that shortens their showers by four minutes each can save over 10,000 gallons of water per year.
- Set your water heater to 120° F. Most water heaters are set to 140° by default, but turning it down to 120° is more than sufficient for all of your household tasks.
- Use cold water for your laundry. Most clothes don’t need to be washed in hot water.
- Never run a half-empty dishwasher. Maximize the efficiency of your dishwasher by only running a cycle when it is full.
- Insulate your water heater tank. You can purchase an insulative jacket for your hot water heater for about $20.
- Flush your water heater every year. Your hot water tank accumulates sediment that should be flushed once per year for optimal energy efficiency.
- Upgrade to Energy Star appliances. Energy Star-certified dishwashers, washing machines, and water heaters can all save you significant money on your energy bills.
- Install low-flow faucets. Low-flow faucets are a small investment that can reduce water usage by 50% or more.
- Fix all leaks immediately. Think a leaky faucet is no big deal? Think again. A sink that drips just once per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons of water per year.
Is a leak in your plumbing system or inefficient water heater costing you hundreds of dollars per year? The professionals at Patterson Plumbing offer speedy plumbing repair and installation services to homeowners in Pueblo County, Colorado. If you live in Pueblo or Canon City, give us a call at (719) 544-4922 to schedule your service.